Just like babies, parents and caregivers come in all shapes and sizes. That’s why it’s essential to find a baby carrier that doesn’t just fit the baby well but the baby wearer, too. Plus size moms and caregivers sometimes have challenges finding products that work for their body type — plus size is a term to describe people who are simply larger than “average” clothing size. While most carriers are designed with your baby’s care and safety in mind, very few consider the baby wearer.
The whole idea of babywearing is to maintain somewhat of a hands-free existence while taking care of your baby. That means baby is close and comforted while the baby wearer can do other tasks at home or on the go. But none of that means anything if the carrier is uncomfortable or is worn incorrectly.
Baby Carriers for Plus Size Moms
Keep reading for tips on finding the best baby carrier for plus-size moms.
Do Baby Carriers Have Sizes?
When you are not an “average” sized person, finding a baby carrier that fits not just your baby but you, too, can be incredibly frustrating. Whether you’re a plus size person or petite size, it’s easy to feel invisible. At least when buying clothes, you have options, but not so much when it comes to babywearing! The struggle is real, very real.
That said, there are options available when it comes to baby carriers for plus-size moms.
What Type of Baby Carrier is Best for Plus Size Moms?
By now, you are probably familiar with the types of baby carriers available, but here’s a quick breakdown:
- Wraps — traditional and made of long fabric to “wrap” around your body, shoulders, and torso to create a pouch-like seat for baby
- Slings (including ring slings) — similar to wraps and made from a soft fabric worn over one shoulder and across your torso like a sash where baby can sit and snuggle
- Structured carriers — usually made of sturdier material with straps for shoulders and a waistband to offer a more supportive carry
- Hybrid carriers — a combo of a structured carrier but worn more like a wrap, comfortable and usually easy to use
When it comes to choosing a baby carrier for plus size moms, here are a few things to consider:
- Breathable Fabrics — when it comes to babywearing, you don’t just want to look cool, but feel cool, too. It’s important to look for a carrier made from breathable materials like cotton and linen. Many carriers also have mesh panels to increase airflow in and around the carrier to help keep baby cool, too.
- Adjustability — depending on the type of carrier you choose, you’ll want to be able to size it to fit your body type. That means finding a carrier with an adjustable waistband and straps to ensure that it fits not just correctly but also comfortably.
Straps — whether it’s a one-shoulder sling or a double shoulder carrier, the straps should be long enough, wide enough, and padded enough so they evenly distribute your baby’s weight and don’t dig into your skin.
- Waistband — make sure the carrier you choose has a waistband that extends long enough to fit a larger size. The Tushbaby waistband extender adds up to 23” in length for a total of 70” around the waist, making this one of the most user-friendly carriers out there.
What is the Best Hip Seat Carrier for Plus Size Moms?
Whether you’re looking for the best hip seat carrier for plus-size moms or the best hip seat carrier overall, Tushbaby wins hands down: it’s designed with your comfort in mind. Tushbaby is a strap-free, ergonomic hip seat baby carrier that evenly distributes your baby’s weight. It’s worn just above the hips and has an adjustable Velcro strap that makes putting it on and taking it off a breeze. There are no extra straps or fabric to complicate things. For anyone plus-sized or for those who just like a little extra room, the waistband extender adds 23” to the length of the carrier.
What is the Best Buckle Carrier for Plus Size Moms?
Once again, Ergobaby Carriers are a fan fave amongst parents of all sizes as they are designed with both baby and baby wearer in mind. Features include:
- All Carry Positions: Inward-facing, Outward-facing, Hip & Back Carry
- Cool and breathable: Cooler for you and baby with soft, lightweight, and durable mesh
- Comfort: Padded lumbar back support and shoulder straps
- Machine Washable
What is the Best Baby Wrap Carrier for Plus Size Moms?
The Baby K’tan is another favorite when it comes to the best wrap carrier for plus size moms, thanks to its individual sizing from XXS to XL, ensuring the perfect fit no matter your size. Baby K’tan is a wrap-style baby carrier that lets you enjoy hands-free, hassle-free, buckle-free babywearing anytime, anywhere. This ready-to-wear cotton wrap slips on easily like a t-shirt, and its patented double-loop design makes it a breeze to take on and off. Babies seem to love it, too!
What is the Best Meh Dai for Plus Size Moms?
A Meh Dai carrier consists of a fabric panel with long straps wound around the baby wearer’s body that are then tied, twisted, or securely tucked away. Meh Dai’s are great for those who want the feel of a wrap but the structure of a buckle carrier without the buckles.
People seem to enjoy the Didymos Baby Carriers for the following benefits:
- Fully adjustable for a perfect fit each time, regardless of the person's shape or size
- Perfectly supports baby in an optimal secure position and provides comfortable babywearing even as baby grows.
- Allows for integrating baby care into everyday life, providing a safe and secure place for baby while keeping two hands free.
- Beautifully woven of organic cotton, using only safe, non-toxic dyes.
What is the Best Ring Sling for Plus Size Moms?
Moby Wrap appears to be the winner of best ring sling for plus size moms for its versatility and extra fabric, which can be tied in the back to create more room in the front for baby. Moby is easy to slip on and is comfortable enough to wear for extended periods. The material is stylish, breathable, durable, and evenly distributes your baby’s weight across your back, shoulders, and hips. Created for efficiency and comfort, it offers front and hip carrying options so you can easily adjust as your baby grows. The fabric is also high quality and machine washable.
What is the Best Baby Carrier for Plus Size Moms Overall?
Depending on your needs and preferences when it comes to babywearing, the Tushbaby Carrier is the best hip carrier for plus-size moms overall (but you knew we’d say that!). Here’s why:
- Ideal for children 8lbs - 45lbs
- Designed to fit 23-44 inch waist (add up to 23 more inches with our Waistband Extender)
- Can be used for breastfeeding support
- Weighs under 1lb
- Machine washable
Tushbaby’s memory foam seat encourages the “M” shape position, which keeps your baby’s hips healthy and properly supported. The wide base allows their thighs to be properly positioned higher than their tush, rather than having their legs dangling or hanging.
The benefits for the baby wearer are that Tushbaby alleviates pressure on your back and shoulders and reduces arm and wrist strain so that you can wear your baby longer and more comfortably. Sounds like a winner to us!