Best Portable Nursing Pillow for Travel
If you’re getting ready to take flight or hit the road with a baby in tow, your travel checklist just got a little bit bigger. And having a nursing pillow for travel is one of the items you won’t want to skip out on packing. If you’re already thinking, “how will I pack a nursing pillow?” that just confirms you’re a seasoned mom—always thinking ahead.
Believe us when we say that the best nursing pillow for travel is, first and foremost, a baby carrier. And yes, that’s exactly how you will pack it to go: wear it or fold it up right into your carry-on or suitcase.
We know it sounds too good to be true, but it’s legit: the Tushbaby is a hip seat carrier and breastfeeding pillow, with five roomy storage pockets and an ergonomic design. And better still, it’s TSA-friendly.
No wonder Tushbaby is the best baby carrier for travel. Buckle up mom, it’s time for vacation.
On the Go Nursing Pillow
Table of Contents
- Can I travel with a nursing pillow?
- Does a pillow count as a carry-on TSA?
- Should I bring a nursing pillow on the airplane?
- What to look for in a portable nursing pillow for travel
Can I travel with a nursing pillow?
The ability to bring your nursing pillow on your trip will depend on how you’ll be traveling and the size of your nursing pillow. If you’re traveling by car, you may have a bit more storage flexibility. If traveling by plane, it’s very possible you’ll be working with some tight quarters. This means you’ll need to be sure your nursing pillow isn’t hanging over your seat into your neighbor’s. Of course, it’s never a bad idea to check the airline policy before bringing along a larger pillow.
With Tushbaby, you can travel with a nursing pillow that works as a baby carrier too! Simply strap it on and use it to wear your baby facing in or out, and when it's time to feed, you can seamlessly change positions. Plus, its open design makes getting your little one up and down easy—yet another reason it’s ideal for travel.
Does a pillow count as a carry-on TSA?
Pillows generally aren’t counted as one of your carry-on items when traveling by plane, but we recommend checking your airline’s allowances ahead of time. And if you’re considering bringing your nursing pillow on board, be sure that it’s TSA-approved.
The Tushbaby carrier is TSA-approved and perfect for traveling with a baby. The five functional storage pockets will allow you to keep all your baby and travel necessities close, providing welcomed peace of mind as you navigate a busy new place with a baby. Since the Tushbaby carrier functions as your nursing pillow and your baby carrier, you’ll have one less thing to pack—you’re welcome.
Should I bring a nursing pillow on the airplane?
Bringing a nursing pillow on an airplane is definitely recommended, as nursing in public can be challenging enough without added support. Having your nursing pillow can help keep your arms, neck, and back supported for feeds during flight, which can also help ease the discomfort of your baby’s ears on planes.
While we recommend bringing along a nursing pillow for your next trip, not all nursing pillows are ideal to travel with. Keep reading as we give you some tips for what to look for in your nursing pillow for travel.
What to look for in a portable nursing pillow for travel
- Comfort: If your nursing pillow isn’t comfortable, it’s time to find a new nursing pillow—especially if you’re getting ready to travel. With a long day of travel to new places around new people, comfort is non-negotiable for the nursing pillow you pack. With the Tushbaby carrier, both mom and baby can find comfort: with a memory foam-lined seat for baby and built-in lumbar support for mom, it’s a baby travel win.
- Portability: The nursing pillow you choose to travel with will ideally be small, light, and easy to store when not in use. Most nursing pillows can be challenging to fit into a standard-size bag, but unlike other nursing pillows, the Tushbaby can easily be folded and tucked away in your carry-on bag, suitcase, or chic Totebaby diaper tote.
- Safety: As with any product for your baby, safety is a top priority. With all the commotion of traveling, having a secure place for your baby to lie while nursing is a must. Tushbaby’s secure shelf-like seat with its anti-slip fabric patch helps ensure you’ve got all the support you need to keep your baby safe and comfortable while nursing.
- Lightweight: You’ll have enough to carry when traveling with a baby. Having a lightweight nursing pillow will ensure you don’t feel bogged down by the thing that’s supposed to be helping you!
- Multi-functional: Traveling with children can already feel like you’re bringing the whole house with you. Having a nursing pillow that suits various needs can help keep your packing list manageable, and save you from carrying extra baby baggage. The Tushbaby can function as a baby diaper bag, baby carrier, nursing pillow, mommy fanny pack, and more.
- Storage pockets: When you’re traveling, you’ll want to have all your nursing necessities close to avoid digging through your suitcase in the middle of the airport, or worse, mid-flight. With your Tushbaby nursing pillow, you can keep burping rags, nipple pads, nipple cream, or whatever floats your boat in any of the five functional storage pockets. Trust us when we say you won’t want to ask your neighbor to get out of their seat so you can grab your nipple pads from your luggage.
- Back support: Between lugging your luggage and your kid (and their luggage, too), your back will have had enough without some extra support for nursing or carrying. Tushbaby’s ergonomic design helps distribute your baby’s weight evenly across your body, protecting your muscles, joints, and bones by supporting your back (and your baby) while nursing. Simply strap your nursing carrier high and tight above your waist for the best low-back support.
Getting ready to pack your bags? Tushbaby is the best on-the-go nursing pillow and baby carrier for travel! Check out our vegan leather tote bag, the Totebaby, that comes fully stocked with an organizer, super slim fold-up changing pad, removable crossbody strap, and divider pocket—not to mention, it’s perfectly designed to hold your Tushbaby when not in use. With plenty of room to pack the necessities, mama and her new bag of tricks will be ready for take-off.
You deserve a break mom. . . vacation or not, get the support you need from Tushbaby!