How to Clean a Changing Pad
When it comes to changing a baby’s diaper, it’s all about finding a comfortable and clean surface for your baby’s tush, especially when you’re on the go. There’s no telling when a baby will need their diaper changed, but you can certainly bet you’ll need to do it while out of the house at least a few times. Portable changing pads and cloths are just one of the many things on the list of diaper bag essentials for that very reason—because sh*t can happen anytime, anywhere.
When you think of a changing pad, you usually don’t think of sophistication, but the Tushbaby Changing Pad is the bougiest one their butts will touch. It’s made with easy-to-clean vegan leather that’s luxe for that delicate baby bottom and practical for the overwhelmed caregiver or parent. Plus, it’s small enough to fit in your back pocket—that’s right, even Dad can travel with it.
While diaper pads are crucial for a comfortable change, they can understandably collect germs and, well, diaper residue. This blog will focus on how to clean a changing pad, how often to clean your baby’s changing pad, and how Tushbaby products can help keep you prepared for the many diaper changes you’ll live through as a parent.
How to Clean a Changing Mat Properly
Table of Contents
- How to clean a baby changing pad by hand
- How to clean a baby changing pad in the washing machine
- How do you disinfect a baby changing pad?
- Non-toxic cleaning products for changing pads and other baby gear
- How do I keep my changing pad clean on the go?
- Other considerations for keeping a changing pad clean
How to clean a baby changing pad by hand
Keeping a baby changing pad clean is critical, as they can collect unwanted bacteria… and poop. No matter the severity of the blowout or just due to everyday use, you’ll need to keep your baby’s changing pad clean and sanitized to prevent any spread of germs. Here’s how to clean your baby changing pad by hand:
Step #1. Give the pad an initial wipe down: You should always begin by using a paper towel or wipe to wipe away any visible residue from your changing pad before sanitizing.
Step #2. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize: Choose your weapon of choice; this can be a sanitizing wipe, warm water and soap, or sanitizing spray with a paper towel. Be sure to check your changing pad’s label for any restrictions on sanitizing methods.
Step #3. Let it dry: Be sure your changing pad is fully dry before folding and storing. It’s typically best to allow your changing pad to air dry rather than drying it through a machine.
Step #4. Store it: Now that your changing pad is clean and dry, you may store it as you always would. For a portable changing pad like Tushbaby’s, simply fold and pack it back into your diaper bag of choice.
How to clean a baby changing pad in the washing machine
If the thought of handwashing your diaper changing pad seems like a no-go, machine washing can also be an option. Be sure to check the label on your changing pad first to see what the manufacturer recommends as the best way to wash it.
Most baby changing pads can be cleaned in the washing machine as follows:
Step #1. Give the pad an initial wipe down: You should always begin by using a paper towel or wipe to wipe away any visible residue from your changing pad before putting it in the wash.
Step #2. Clean in the washing machine: Now that the obvious mess is off the pad, it’s time to get it extra clean. Following the instructions on your diaper pad’s label, throw your diaper pad in the washing machine.
Step #3. Drying your diaper pad: After the wash, you may have multiple options for drying. Some diaper pads can be dried using low heat, while some recommend air drying. Whichever you choose, be sure that pad is dry before folding and storing it.
How do you disinfect a baby changing pad?
As we mentioned, there are various ways you can disinfect a changing pad. No matter which option you choose, don’t skip out on this crucial part of cleaning your baby’s diaper pad. Sanitizing will help to keep your baby healthy and germ-free, with a clean surface for their bum. Here are just a few ways you can disinfect your changing pad:
- Disinfectant Wipes
- Sanitizing Spray
- Water and Soap
Tushbaby Tip: You can add soap and water to a spray bottle to create a spray for disinfecting your diaper pad or changing table.
Non-toxic cleaning products for changing pads and other baby gear
Many parents worry about harsh chemicals from cleaning or disinfectant products, especially if their baby has extra sensitive skin. If you’re looking for non-toxic cleaning products, there are plenty on the market. Many of these products will be organic, plant-based, and free of fragrance, dyes, and harsh chemicals.
How do I keep my changing pad clean on the go?
Since it’s important to clean your changing pad after each use, you’ll need something to sanitize it while out and about. Sanitizing wipes are a great option to quickly wipe and sanitize your changing pad. It’s always a good idea to give it a thorough wash once you’re home with soap and water, too.
Tushbaby’s vegan leather changing pad is perfect for parents on the go because it conveniently folds to fit in just about anything, including your back pocket. But as you already know, you’ll need to leave the house with so much more than just a changing pad with a baby. Here are some other Tushbaby products that can store the cleaning essentials you might need on the go to clean your changing pad or any other mess thrown your way.
- Totebaby: Our vegan leather tote-style diaper bag can be used for just about anything, from carrying groceries to serving as a stylish yoga bag to becoming your new Mary Poppins bag for playtime—with plenty of removable baby tote features designed for parents on the go.
- Tushbaby: It’s a hipseat baby carrier that can also store your stuff: take advantage of the five roomy pockets to bring wipes, rags, spare diapers, personal items, and even a change of baby clothes.
- The Pack: Shoutout to all the Dads out there - we see you, and we’ve created The Pack just for you. The Pack is a mini wearable diaper bag that can be worn across your chest, back, or around your waist. For quick outings with baby, it’ll help you keep diapers, wipes, and your Tushbaby changing pad within arm’s reach.
Other considerations for keeping a changing pad clean
Keeping a changing pad clean is an important part of keeping your baby’s bum and their health out of germs' way. Whether you’re on the go or cleaning your changing pad at home, it’s important to sanitize after each use. If possible, it also helps to sanitize the area around where you’ll be changing diapers.
Knowing how to clean a changing mat is just step one! Step two is being prepared. Now that you’ve got the basics, it’s time to make diaper changes easier no matter where you are. For outings, Tushbaby products can help you pack along all the necessities:
- Tushbaby: Perfect for life on the go, you can pack up your foldable Tushbaby diaper changing pad, some diapers, wipes, and extra clothes into the functional pockets. With the carrier’s ergonomic design, lugging around your little one’s diaper extras can now be done with additional support for your back.
- Totebaby: As we mentioned, this chic vegan leather tote provides ample space for all your diaper-changing necessities. It also comes with a removable organizer to eliminate digging through a mess when you’re trying to clean up your baby’s mess!
As a parent, safety and health are probably top priorities for you and your family. Now that you’ve reviewed the many ways you can keep your changing pad clean, it’s time to learn more about the other ways to keep your common baby items clean and germ-free, especially the ones that go right into their mouth.
Your baby’s pacifier can be a game-changer when it comes to soothing techniques, which means you’ll always want a clean one handy. Read more on how to clean a pacifier, and don’t forget to store your clean paci in Tushbaby’s Paci Pod. Conveniently latch the Paci Pod to your carrier or purse or anything else you’ve got handy to ensure you’ve always got that sucker nearby—no more digging through your bag only to find a dirty paci!